The Boomi Flow Drawing Tool lets us create values as we need, while we are building our flow (recommended method). We can also create values we need before we build a flow, and then import them to the flow.
Values we create are available throughout the tenant, and can be reused in multiple flows. If you change a value in one flow, the change is reflected across all flows in the same tenant.
Creating values from within a flow:
When we need to use a value, we will see a Select or create a new Value button in the configuration panel. For example, let’s say we are working with the Message element. This is what the canvas looks like:
- Click Select or Create a new Value.
- Click Create a new Value.
- In the Value: dialog box, enter a name for the value in the Name field. (You may want to follow a naming convention.)
- Select the kind of value you want to create from the What kind of Value is this? drop-down menu. Values can be Boolean, Content, Date/Time, List, Number, Object, Password, String, and Encrypted.
If you are creating a value of kind Object or List, you will also be prompted to enter what Type of value it is.
You can assign default values at this stage as well.
- Click Save.
Creating values from the Values screen:
While we recommend creating values as you are building a flow, you can also create values beforehand and then import them to a flow.
Advanced configuration options
While creating a value, we have advanced configuration options. You can find these options, by clicking the + icon next to Advanced. Advanced configuration options include Presentation and Change. You can decide how the value is accessed, and can decide if you want the value to be versioned. We also have a field for Comments, if you want to write a descriptive comment on the value.
This lets you decide the format of the data in the Value, if referenced in the app. Boomi Flow follows the C# formatting convention.
You have three configuration options, that lets you determine whether the value you are creating, can be changed during the course of a flow, or treated as a constant.
- Do not allow changes to this Value – Checking the box against Do not allow changes to this Value treats the value as a constant during the flow, not allowing the flow to change the value while its being executed. However, the data of the value can be updated by clicking Values from the Home tab, and clicking the pencil icon next to the value.
- Access – Selecting from Private, Input, Input & Output options, lets you select how the value is accessed externally by a flow.
- Private: Private values can only be assigned data while inside the flow – you can’t use them as Inputs or Output.
- Input: The value can be initialized when the flow starts.
- Output: The Done response when the flow finishes, will contain this value.
- Input & Output: The value is set to be both Input & Output.
- The Value should not be versioned – Checking this box does not let the flow version the value.
This lets you write a descriptive comment. For example: This value updates user response in the app.
Check out the glossary for a definition of terms and key concepts that appear in the Boomi Flow website, Drawing Tool, technical documentation, blogs, and marketing communications.
If you need to take a closer look, click on the images to enlarge them. Have a question? Click the Help button on the bottom right-hand corner of this page to ask.